I was about to start this post on places to visit in Mozambique, by saying that Mozambique is a land flowing with milk and honey. But, let’s not get too goofy. Mozambique is however a land that has this rare natural beauty which anybody can feel at ease in, especially if you are a lover of nature. This is the reason why alot of people, have Mozambique on their bucket list for places to visit before they…age or reach 30, or, more extreme, before they die.
Mozambique is known for its islands to forts, national parks, just to name a few. And, the people are also very welcoming.
This article though, is not to go on and on about my love for Mozambique but to lure you to this place of peace, beauty and nature. All this, while making you crave visiting this country.
Here are the 10 places you should visit while you are in Mozambique:
- Kruger National Park: It is one place to visit in mozambique. It is home to animals like the Lion, Elephant, Rhino, Leopard and Buffalo, commonly referred to as the big five. Not just that, it is also home of hundreds of more species. Need I add that it is one of the most beautiful Wildlife Reserves in Africa.
- Inhaca Island (Ilha da Inhaca in Portuguese): Inhaca island is a subtropical island of Mozambique and separates Maputo Bay (Baía de Maputo) to the west from the Indian Ocean off its eastern shores. History has it that the island was occupied by the British from 1823 until the MacMahon Treaty of 24 July 1875, and also the British used the island to patrol and control the slave traffic in the region. All this was even while it was a portuguese territory/island.
- Paroquia Santo Antonio: This Catholic church is also one of the places to visit in Mozambique. It has one of the most unique architectures you would ever see in your lifetime. It was designed by the Portuguese architect Cavreiro Nuno Lopes in the early 1960s. Its futuristic conical shape is suggestive of an inverted flower or a spinning carousel, though it also reminds many visitors of a lemon juicer.
- Catedral de Nossa Senhora da Imaculada Conceição (The Cathedral of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception): Designed by Portuguese civil enginneer Marcial Simoes de Freitas e Costa, this Roman Catholic cathedral is located in downtown Maputo, the capital of Mozambique. It’s construction was completed in 1944 and took 8 years to build. It has unique architecture that is totally amazing.
- Museu De Historia Natural de Maputo: Here, you would find a unique collection of elephants preserved in foetus stage. Wildlife is depicted in a way that’s not to be found anywhere else in the world. And the best part is they were all mounted up in the early 20th century.